Purpose

This blog is for all moms of young children who want to keep things fresh in your home . . . new ways to spend time with your kids, recipes, books, helpful websites, etc. Being a mom is fun but sometimes it's hard! Whether you are a mother working outside the home or inside the home my hope is this blog makes your role as a mother easier and helps keep you and your children engaged!

Monday, November 14, 2011

G.A.S.

My purpose in this blog is to enable moms of young children with resources - and I would not be doing this blog justice if I did not discuss our ultimate resource - God. I love Jesus more than anything. I'm often too quiet about it, but I felt a burden today that this post needed to happen. Our burden is heavy . . . there are many needs placed upon us, and let's be honest - we simply can't do it all. Sometimes we can't do any of it because we are too exhausted. We feel guilt no matter how much or how little we do. We want everything to be perfect for our families. We find identity in things that can be stripped away in a moment's notice.

This year has been a year of change for me as I transitioned into a stay at home mom role after a 12 year career with the same company that started in California and landed me in Texas. I did think about in the beginning of this year when the change began that I needed to remember my identity was in Jesus and Jesus alone. I knew he was my only constant. However, processing that in my heart is a totally different story. This morning in church Josh Patterson spoke those very words - our identity is in Christ Jesus and that's it. I was reminded of how true that is and how imperative it is to truly get that. And then I went on one of my crazy tangents on the way home when I was in my car by myself, and I came up with the acromyn G.A.S. It's appropriate because I have 3 boys in my home and if you have the same, you know there is a lot of gas! Here is what it stands for:

1. Grace. The definition I found was "Divine love and protection bestowed freely on people". There is unending grace being offered (FREELY - meaning there is nothing for you to do here - it's there regardless of you) to you right now. You only need to . . .

2. Accept. Accept the offer you have from God. Allow him to carry your load. You aren't in charge anyway - he is. He is your creator and he knows exactly how you are wired, how your husband is wired, and your children. He knows exactly what happened yesterday, what is happening right now, and he is already in the future. Can you say all of that for yourself? No. So let him be in charge and take a DEEP breath. Do what you can, but don't beat yourself up along the way. When you screw up, remember, it is all part of your . . .

3. Sanctification. The definition: "To make holy; purify". You need to mess up in order to realize your need for God. If you always had it all together, there would be no room for him. When you mess up with your children/husband, you are helping with their sanctification! God has his plan, and whatever you are doing right now isn't going to change that. The mess ups are part of his plan too.

So . . . if you don't know Jesus yet, or you do and aren't putting him right smack in the center, say a prayer. Ask him to reveal himself to you in a way that you don't already know. Ask him to help you LET IT GO. Jesus paid the price for all of your screwups - there is no more punishment. Take time to process that, and enjoy the ride that he is taking you on.

1 comment:

Are you new to the mothering world?

I have a particular passion for women who have just entered the world of mothering, especially when it comes to getting your baby on a schedule and sleeping. Please send me a message if you have any questions! I would love to help!