Purpose

This blog is for all moms of young children who want to keep things fresh in your home . . . new ways to spend time with your kids, recipes, books, helpful websites, etc. Being a mom is fun but sometimes it's hard! Whether you are a mother working outside the home or inside the home my hope is this blog makes your role as a mother easier and helps keep you and your children engaged!

Monday, October 17, 2011

New Recipe!

I find that 4 out of 5 new recipes I make aren't that great, but there are a few that do actually come out kinda good.  Tonight I made a version of "Turkey and Vegetable Chow Fun" but I didn't have any ground turkey so I substituted ground beef, and I couldn't find Japanese eggplant at the store so I left that out.  It was quite yummy!  Here is the recipe:

12oz fettuccine
2 t toasted sesame oil
1/4 C oyster sauce
2T rice vinegar (not seasoned)
3 T vegetable oil
4 oz mixed mushrooms cut into pieces (about 1 cup)
2 cloves of garlic chopped (I used 3)
3/4 lb ground turkey (I used 1 lb of ground beef)
1 bunch of scallions, sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (i left this out figuring it would be too much green for my kids)
Sriracha or other Asian chile sauce for serving (optional - I used a chile garlic sauce that was DELICIOUS and you can find it in the Asian section of grocery store)

Bring pot of salted water to boil.  Add the noodles and cook as labeled.  Reserve 1 1/4 C of cooking water, and then drain and rinse the noodles.  Transfer to large bowl and toss with 1 t sesame oil.  Mix oyster sauce and vinegar in a cup and set aside. 

Heat 2 T vegetable oil in large skillet over high heat.  Add mushrooms and cook til wilted, 1 minute.  Push veggies to one side and add the remaining 1 T vegetable oil.  Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.  Add turkey and stir fry until cooked through (I cooked the turkey/beef separately and then tossed it in at this stage), about 3 minutes.  Stir turkey and veggies together.  Add scallions and half of the oyster sauce mixture and cook 1 more minute. 

Add noodles, 1 cup of the reserved cooking water and the remaining oyster sauce mixture and 1 t sesame oil.  Stir fry until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes, adding more cooking water as needed to loosen.  Top with cilantro and serve with Sriracha if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you new to the mothering world?

I have a particular passion for women who have just entered the world of mothering, especially when it comes to getting your baby on a schedule and sleeping. Please send me a message if you have any questions! I would love to help!